Friday, September 21, 2012

A long time coming

I first discovered Etsy  in 2007 when I unintentionally stumbled upon this article. I remember being so excited and intrigued by this handmade movement that I had no idea about. Through this article I also discovered one of my favorite artists and inspirations The Black Apple. Ever since exploring Etsy on a daily basis has been a part of my routine.  I longed to join this creative community but had no idea what to make- to say I struggle a little with perfectionism and procrastination would probably be the understatement of the year. Every year I kept telling myself this year I'm gonna start a shop, and I never really got very far. Until my last job.....it was probably the most demanding and stressful job I've ever had, I had not really felt creative. I had stopped drawing completely until I realized I needed a change of pace, so I started sketching at lunch as sort of a mental recess. I finally had motivation and drive to start seriously pursuing my shop.

The thing about perfectionism is it's unattainable, so I made a conscious effort to keep moving forward and accept my abilities for what they are at this moment. Everyone has to start somewhere, it's not to say you're ok with where you are at forever, goals are essential, and discipline is necessary to grow. It's a slow process to retrain yourself to quit doubting and keep moving, but I'm making progress. You'll never know if you don't try right?

These articles over at Design Sponge have helped me immensely. This one in particular about lies that could hold your business back, I found extremely affirming and timely.

So without further ado, I would like to announce that Floating Thru Fields is now open for business!
I would also like to point out the new shop link at the top right of the page.

I plan to get a lot more drawings done as soon as possible now that my computer issues are somewhat fixed.

Thanks to my family and friends who have supported me through this long process :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NEVER under-estimate yourself and ALWAYS believe in yourself. I'm proud of you for setting and reaching a goal and not giving up. I can't wait to see what the future holds in store for you!!

New inspiration and new projects

I love going to museums and admiring some of my favorite artists and discovering new ones too! My goal for this year was to visit a diffe...