Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top 5

Here's the latest random assortment of things I'm excited about lately.

1. Summer Movie Season
Well summer movie season is definitely upon us, I saw two movies this past weekend. The Great Gatsby which was good, even though it's not my favorite story. Although my favorite parts from the book were also my favorite scenes from the movie. Like when Nick first meets Gatsby at his party and when they have tea in Nick's tiny little cottage. Also the costumes were great, and the touches of art deco, I especially loved the way they incorporated Gatsby's initials into design.













I also saw Iron Man 3. Which I LOVED!! Yes I am sucker for Robert Downey Jr, and I love the way he portrays Tony Stark as a sarcastic, quick witted, engineering genius. This third installment doesn't disappoint, it supplies twists and turns that you do not expect from a three-quel, and it's fun to see the characters back together again, not to mention the new designs he's come up with. If you thought the 2nd movie was horrible I agree with you, but don't let it stop you from enjoying this movie. These two movies have got me super excited for July when basically everything else comes out.



2. Awesome Catcus
I have had my eye on this ocean inspired coral catcus for quite awhile, I first saw it in the floral arrangements at Northpark a couple years ago. I have seen them at a few places but they were always kinda pricey, and my track record when succulents are a little spotty. But when I saw this one for under $15, I jumped at the chance to buy it!

so happy :)



3. Polia Pillin
I was watching Antiques Roadshow and discovered a Polish couple who began making pottery together in the 1930's and became more established in later decades. The husband William, would throw the vessels for his wife Polia. She would use the pottery as her canvas and paint beautiful birds, horses, and portraits of dancers and women. Her technique is something I have never seen before, I am so intrigued by her use of color.
birds 

love the varied colors

portrait

4.Stuffed Animal Book by Abby Glassenberg
Abby makes awesome stuffed birds and animals, she's very talented and sells pdf patterns of some of her stuffed creations. Now she's tackled all sorts of construction issues and design details. I'm pretty excited to explore everything she's addressed in this book. See more adorable videos of animals from her book here


5. Netflix Mother's Day packaging. This is just me geeking out over cool design concepts. I think it's always a design challenge to only use 2 colors and create a powerful statement. In this case the white print is used on the already existing red packaging. I love how the cute imagery from Brave pops out & grabs you, so cute and clever :)

What are you excited about lately?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw Gatsby last night and loved it. I thought it was the closest movie adaptation to a book that I'd ever seen - I was impressed. Of course this also cemented my opinion that Leo DiCaprio is probably the best actor of our generation. I think Baz was a perfect choice for Gatsby!

Heidi's Wanderings said...

I want to see Gatsby really bad. I do love the story. And that pottery is way cool. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Heidi’s Wanderings

Laura said...

I really liked The Great Gatsby too! I couldn't take my eyes off all the beautiful art deco elements either. =)

Deidre said...

I, too, am a huge fan of Robert Downey Jr. The Great Gatsby hasn't come out here (being Australia) yet, but I'm excited to see it when it does.

Lima said...

I'm still yet to see the Great Gatsby. My friend has read the book and watched the movie and she reckons it's followed very closely to the book!

Haha, I'm totes with you on the Robert Downey Jr front, how hot is he?! Iron Man 3 was surprisingly good! Prefered it to the 2nd one, for sure!

Halima

xx

New inspiration and new projects

I love going to museums and admiring some of my favorite artists and discovering new ones too! My goal for this year was to visit a diffe...