Monday, July 31, 2017

New inspiration and new projects

I love going to museums and admiring some of my favorite artists and discovering new ones too! My goal for this year was to visit a different art exhibit every month and get inspired by different artist and interpret my favorite pieces in my own style just for fun. I don't know about you but every time I go to a museum I want to run home and paint or make something, so this idea was about actually holding myself accountable to do something with that excitement. Obviously it's the end of July, and I'm a little late in starting this series for the year but better late than never :)

I'll be honest, extreme stress affected my creativity and I lost my energy and passion for a while. I was definitely going through a dry spell and a creative block for months on end. If you go through this, I encourage you not to give up and keep drawing or doing your thing even if it's repetitive, boring, or what you think is not your best work. You never know what will come from a silly idea, random concept or mistake :)

I love going to the Kimbell Museum because they always have the best Impressionist exhibits which I love! The exhibit I saw was from the Phillips Collection, which including Monet, Degas, Van Gogh, and Bonnard just to name a few. I had never heard of Pierre Bonnard but I quickly fell for his dreamy brush strokes.




The Palm, Woman with Dog and The Open Window all by Bonnard



This orange Degas was stunning, I love the contrast of the background with light blue dancers 
I knew immediately I wanted to start my "Inspired by" project with this piece in mind.


Dancers at the Barre

I love bright colors so this was a no brainer. I added some bright coral to the original palette and I really love how Degas seemed to "sketch" with black paint the details of the body and I went a little crazy with the black accents but I'm ok with that :)
I kinda wanted to do a traditional medium but I started playing on my iPad instead. I really love procreate because the paintbrushes and other tools are so life-like in appearance. It's instant gratification without the mess and effort of actual paint and I'm all about getting started as soon as possible! 










closeup collage :P

What's your favorite type of art? Where do you get inspiration? Do you have a "go to" place? I love hearing about other people's interests and techniques :) 
Happy creating friends!!!

6 comments:

ALLIE NYC said...

Yes visiting museums and other creative places can help motivate you. And oh yeah I feel like that sometimes. Take breaks and push through seems to be the way to go.

Allie of
www.allienyc.com

Laila said...

I'm the same as you - I love visiting museums! London has some of the best museums and it's a shame I don't visit more really. It tends to be that I'll go to see a specific exhibition and not just to have a look around the way I used too! x

Unknown said...

Museums are my happy place for sure... and that painting dancers on the barre is one of my favorites. I used to teach art, and always shared that one with my students!

Great post!

-Court

ALLIE NYC said...

Oh I go through those dry spells too, it can be over whelming sometimes to stay creative, I mean life can be over whelming as is with all it's pitfalls but having to always be creative on top it can be a bit taxing at times. So a trip to a gallery does help.

Allie of ALLIENYC
www.allienyc.com

Carina Michele said...

Gorgeous images, I must get out for inspiration too!

Clipping Path said...

Hey Very Nice Blog!!! Thanks For Sharing!!!!

New inspiration and new projects

I love going to museums and admiring some of my favorite artists and discovering new ones too! My goal for this year was to visit a diffe...